Monday, November 7, 2011

Spinning a yarn

“I claim that in losing the spinning wheel we lost our left lung. We are, therefore, suffering from galloping consumption. The restoration of the wheel arrests the progress of the fell disease.” ~Mahatma Gandhi

Here is a picture of my beautiful wheel (by Fricke). On the spool is my second completed skein of yarn, which was comprised of wool from several natural colored Lincoln sheep.

untitled-2154

After washing, I was pleased to discover that I had produced a balanced skein of worsted weight yarn.

untitled-2180

I also dyed my first spun yarn, which was made from Romney sheep, and dyed with Biden flowers. The color produced by Biden flowers (which I intensified with copper) will darken a bit over time. It's not spectacular yarn, but it will make a cute pair of mittens for a boy I know.

untitled-2173


Other items I have recently finished include a fleece lined stocking cap (knit with aran weight hand dyed BFL)

untitled-2163
untitled-2169

and many 2 oz jars full of hand balm.

untitled-2172

The hat and the balm will be donated to the boys' school for their winter faire.

No comments:

Post a Comment