Friday, March 2, 2012

acquisitions

We went to a local maple syrup festival this past weekend, and I was unable to resist this:
untitled-3022

What fiber is that, you wonder? Maple Cotton Candy. Delicious, but alas, not spin-able. I was sorely tempted to try.

I did run into the folks from Rooster's Run, who have started phasing out their Shetland sheep in favor of Finnsheep (a hornless breed, which will help prevent them from spending a fortune on fencing repairs). I purchased 4 oz of a finn-shetland cross to try. It has a medium staple, and is quite soft.
untitled-3024
untitled-3026

I also went ahead and bought 2.5 lbs of the Gotland I had been considering. Given that I spin about 2 oz a week, on average, this pile will take the better part of a year to spin. It sure is lovely though. Though the farm this came from isn't local (Shepherd's Lane in Oregon), her sister is, and raised the lovely Wensleydale I knit up last week. What a small world.
untitled-3027
untitled-3029

No comments:

Post a Comment